Can you believe it, but almost 5 years on, most of my wedding dress (so where’s the rest of it? I hear you ask – all will be revealed!) is still hanging in my mums bedroom! I must think of something to do with it…
Here are some ideas for how to recycle your wedding dress:
1. Sell it on – If you can bear the thought of parting with your beloved dress, then cashing in on said dress is a great idea. You’ll give someone else the joy of wearing a beautiful dress at a reduced cost, and you can have the satisfaction that you got some money back from your wedding. Ebay and online pre-worn wedding dress sale directories are the first places to start. Chichi over at From Now Till I Do gives some great tips for selling your wedding dress.
2. Donate it to charity – this way, you can still bless another bride with the gift of a beautiful dress at a reduced cost, but also contributing to a charitable cause. Check out this post about donating wedding dresses to brides in Kenya.
3. Make a family heirloom – You can make a dedication outfit for your children and keep as a family heirloom. So this is what happened to the train of my dress (now you get why I said most of my dress is at my mother’s place). Here’s the dress that our daughter wore for her dedication:
4. Home furnishings – Depending on the fabric, you can make some soft furnishing such as cushion covers, bedding, curtains – as look as they don’t look tacky!
5. Trash the dress Post-wedding photo shoot - I don’t actually like this idea at all – I mean why would you want to do that to your wedding dress? Such a waste!
6. Rock the Dress Post-wedding photo shoot – a better alternative to number 5. You could find somewhere creative to have the shoot and have no pressure to go and meet waiting guests at a reception. Check out this post-wedding photo shoot:
You can see the rest of the shoot here.
7. Keep it for your daughter’s wedding – ok, so your daughter may not have the same taste as you when she gets married, but she may take elements of it or alter it.
8. Save it for your funeral – this is so morbid! But actually, some ladies do this, so perhaps one to consider?…
If you have more ideas, please share them with us below